Friday, November 16, 2012

Guy Johnson's Store

Guy Johnson's Store as described in the brochure: "Stop and See...Old Time Country Store. Groceries, General Merchandise. On Beautiful Bull Shoals Lake, Pontiac, Missouri. Your business Appreciated. On Hwy. W-15 miles S.W. of Gainesville, Mo. Ph. Gainesville, Osborn 9-2181."

The property on which Guy Johnson's Store stood was originally patented by William Mahan on November 28, 1896. It was then conveyed to M. H. Mahan and A. J. Johnson in 1901. M. H. Mahan conveyed his interest to A. J. Johnson in 1903. I'm not sure when the store was built, but I always thought it was around the early 1900's. I didn't know A. J. Johnson, as he died in 1949, but I do remember his wife and Guy's mother, Jane. She used to sit on the porch of the store in a rocking chair and smoke a corn cob pipe. You can see a picture of her on the bar top at Just Jackie's restaurant in Pontiac.

Guy Johnson's Store as it looked when I was a kid and for many years after that.
Guy Johnson called everyone "Honey Boy," - at least that's what he called the male customers. (I'm not sure what he called the females...) His store was truly an "old time" country store with groceries and general merchandise. He had everything.  He had a pail of water with a dipper in it in the back corner of the store beside the telephone (the only phone in the area at the time) that we all drank out of when we were thirsty. My mom bought shoes for my brother and me there. He also had assorted hardware. I can remember going to the store and picking up 50-pound boxes of 20 penny nails and bolts when we were building docks.

An interior picture of the store. You can see the cases of bottled soda and the cooler on the right. There was a pot-bellied stove in the back. And notice the sign on the left: "Perfect Service by Registered Mail".
Guy had a pickup truck with a cattle rack on the back, and he would drive it to West Plains every Monday morning to pick up supplies. He parked it in a small garage on the south side of his property. You rarely ever saw his pickup out except on Monday mornings. Guy had bologna and would carve off a piece to make you a sandwich. The old cooler in the store used cold water to chill the soda. The bottles were held by a rack. You slid the bottle over and out the slot. The sodas were 8 cents each, and there was a 2-cent deposit on the bottles. (With that kind of thinking today, perhaps everyone would recycle, and we wouldn't see so much trash along the roads.) Hershey bars were a nickel. The school bus driver (it was actually a station wagon, not a bus) would stop after school and let us get something if we were good.

Guy Johnson as I always remember him.
Guy would tear apart cigarette cartons and use the larger sides for scratch paper. He would add up his customers' purchases on these. He would run charge accounts. I always heard that is how he acquired much of his property - when folks couldn't pay their tabs, they'd sign over their property. Guy was also the postmaster. He gave it up after an illness late in life. His assistant, Mary Davis, took over as postmaster. She was also running Shady Oak Resort ("The Oaks") at the time.

This is what the store looked like after it closed. (Picture courtesy Kerry Lewis.)
Guy also sold gasoline. I can remember buying gas for less than 20 cents per gallon there. Back in those days there were gas wars. I assume it was a time when the stations in town would compete for low prices. Guy would participate. He would put a sign out by the pumps that said: "Gas War". Some of you may remember Al Horn. He lived here in the '70s and early '80s. He told me about his first encounter with Guy. He bought gas and realized all he had was a hundred dollar bill. He thought, "How will this old timer ever be able to make change." Well, if you knew Guy, you know he could have cashed many hundred dollar bills. His cash register was his overalls. He would put singles in one pocket and 5's and 10's in another and keep the big stuff in his billfold. He also carried loose change in his pockets.

After Guy and Vada passed away, their heirs did not sell any property for quite some time. I don't think I ever met any of them, but Phil Petars, the old mechanic at the dock, who I mentioned in the Robbin's Roost post, contacted them about tearing down the old store. He advised them that it was dangerous and they allowed him to tear it down. Why none of us in the community, including myself, didn't step in and try to preserve the old store, I don't know. We lost the main focal point and financial center of our community when it went down. I have always hoped someone would rebuild a replica of the old store. Maybe Jeff and Annette (the current owners of the property) will? :)

This is where the old store stood at the corner of Highway W and County Road 609.

All that remains is the old cistern, where Guy would fill his water pail.
These are my recollections of Guy Johnson and his store. There are so many wonderful stories about him, I cannot begin to write them all down. You're welcome to share your comments and stories about your encounters with Pontiac's true icon.

13 comments:

Tina said...

Really enjoy this post. Although I don't remember the store being open, I still drive by that spot on my way to church every Sunday and wish that store was still there. It is a wonderful memory, and a place talked about all my life.

B said...

Thanks Tim for such wonderful stories. Although I wasn't born in the area, I was raised there and your stories truly the capture the magic that is life in Ozark County.

Anonymous said...

This is the best one yet Tim! Discovering more and more why we love living in this area! I remember snooping around in that store when we first got here. There were lots of old documents scattered around the floor, and I believe many of them were for cotton sales? The land our house is on was once owned by Claud Satterfield and he pointed out a path that went directly from his house, across the "holler" through the woods, to Guy Johnson's store.
Keep 'em coming! Walt

Pontiac Cove Marina & Resort said...

Thanks Walt. I don't think Claude ever drove, did he? I remember him walking to and from the store. Maybe he just wanted the exercise or to save fuel.

Tim

Anonymous said...

He didn't drive while we knew him, although he had an old Chevy pick-up parked in the yard--a '61, I believe. I understand that belonged to Hervil. Claud and Lois were wonderful folks, super interesting, and we miss them a bunch! They did everything the way it was done a long, long time ago. No TV, cooked on a wood stove, heated with wood, had two gardens, had apple trees, picked wild berries, raised a lot of their own meat, etc. Learned a lot from them!
Walt

Dan said...

I remember a sign on the back wall of the store. Seems like it was over the back door. Maybe it was over the phone? To the best of my memory, it said, "This store built in 1901 by uncle Andy Johnson." I'm guessing uncle Andy would be A.J. Johnson. Maybe someone else remembers the sign and can correct the date if I'm mistaken.

It also seems like the store was built the year Guy was born. I also remember the old house that stood off to the left and down the hill where I had been told Guy was born.

Guy kept his truck in a small building. The approach on Hwy W to that building is now the approach to Pontiac Storage.

Unknown said...

In 1968 my Uncle Earl Davis died and not long after that my Aunt Mary Davis and Cousin Phil moved into the Shady Oak resort within a stone's throw from Guy Johnson's Store. I remember an outhouse in back to the right. Also inside old shoe's hanging and inside the glass counter dollar bills folded into an Eagle. I never seen the place in the winter I wish I had.

Ethyn Vassar said...

i have guy johnsons store inside and outside in 3D on 1950s moussuri view-master reels. great to see people still interested in perserving small town culture, etc. mr vassar cleveland tn

شركات خدمات منزلية said...

شركة الصفرات للتنظيف

Cousin Debbie said...

I sure wish the store had been preservedor rebuilt. I think Guy would have liked that - just like it looked in the day, wood floors, old pot belly stove in the back, and maybe even the post office "cage" he had in the store. Doesn't that sound like a great project? If I ever win the lottery, maybe I'll give it a shot.

Cousin Debbie said...

Walt and Tim - loved reading your comments about Claud Satterfield, too. We got eggs from the Satterfields, and I always thought Mr. S was such a colorful character! Somewhere I have some photos from his place. Tim, if I can find them and get them scanned in, I'll send to you.

Paul Goldenstern said...

I remember the store when we came down here during the summer in the late 60s. My parents eventually moved down here back in the mid 70's. Guy was a colorful man and his store a treasure for the town. There was also a man I recall that lived near the top of W that sat on his porch and waved to everybody as he drove by. I never met him, but always looked for him. I miss those days

Unknown said...

What great memories walking to Guys store from the campground and getting ice cream. I believe the last trip to Pontiac that I took when Guy was still in business was 1975. We started camping there around 1961, dad and his buddies asked the ranger if they could hack out underbrush to camp on the right of the road heading down to the boat ramp. I think they are spots 26 and 27 today. We always camped in those sites. Lots of good memories from those years!