Friday, January 30, 2015

A Gain and a Loss

In 1983 after a couple seasons as our water patrol, Norman was going to be transferred to Smithville Lake just outside of Kansas City. It was not exactly what he was hoping for. He came to me and asked for a job. He said, "I'll do anything for little or nothing... just so I don't have to go to Smithville." So, I hired him. Norman was my first full-time employee.

Later that year Dad became very ill. He had been battling a blood disorder for some time and had to have multiple blood transfusions. In September his doctor made arrangements for him to be sent to Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minnesota. He spent the last few weeks of his life there. Mom was there the entire time. Dan and I spent the last three weeks there. At one point an infection in his right hand got so bad they amputated it. He said, "I guess I will have to learn how to eat left-handed." He lost his battle on October 21, 1983, just 10 days before his 70th birthday. Thankfully, before he got sick he was able to enjoy a few years of retirement.

Joe Morgan
I remember one of the few (if not the only) vacation Mom and Dad took.  It was right after Johnna and I had moved home to Pontiac. They took a driving trip out east. While they were gone there was a bad storm, and we had considerable damage to the docks. We all agreed that we could handle it and make the repairs and decided to not tell them so they could enjoy their well-deserved time off.  When they returned home they said they knew something was fishy, as every time they called the dock all of us were there working!

After Mom and Dad retired I spent the first five years as owner/manager trying to convince people they did not need to talk to Joe when they had a problem. They could talk to me. After all, I was in charge now. (Ha.) I was having a hard time getting the respect I thought I deserved. I learned a valuable lesson from Dad. Respect is not something you inherit, can pass down, or can buy. You have to earn it. I think about Dad often... about his work ethic, his good nature, his belief that the customer was always right, and that he knew the difference between right and wrong. He most certainly had my respect. I think he would be pleased if he could see that his granddaughter is in charge now. She probably spent her first five years here trying to convince customers they did not need to talk to me when they had a problem. After all, she is in charge now, and she has most certainly has earned my respect.

Jabet at the 2012 St. Louis Boat & Sport Show

Written by Cap'n T Morgan

No comments: